12. Progressive Infrastructure Organizations
- 12.1. General Progressive Policy Groups
- 12.2. General Legal Support Groups
- 12.3. Progressive Training and Education Groups
- 12.4. Progressive Foundations
- 12.5. Progressive Groups Monitoring Foundations
- 12.6. Other Progressive Support Groups
12.1. General Progressive Policy Groups
- Institute for Policy Studies (IPS)
- A multi-issue think tank working for peace, justice, and the environment.
- Conducts original research and builds networks of civic and economic reformers around the United States to strengthen democracy and create more broadly shared prosperity.
- Commonweal Institute
- A think tank that seeks to maximize the visibility and the power of progressive ideas and values including environmental protection, racial justice, religious tolerance, and economic security — all ways of bolstering fundamental American ideals of community, responsibility, and fairness.
- Commonwealth Institute
- An independent, nongovernmental public policy research center with programs in progressive approaches to national security, citizen action against climate change, and the study of progressive political strategy.
- Center for American Progress (CAP)
- A think tank dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through ideas and action and using a modern communications platform to help shape the national debate, expose the hollowness of conservative governing philosophy, and challenge the media to cover the issues that truly matter.
- Center for the Study of Social Policy (CSSP)
- Helps states and localities implement creative and effective strategies that strengthen disadvantaged communities and families and will ensure that children grow up healthy, safe, successful in school, and ready for productive adulthood.
- Drum Major Institute for Public Policy (DMI)
- Seeks to change policy by conducting research into overlooked, but important social and economic issues, by engaging policymakers and opinion leaders, and by offering platforms to amplify the ideas of those who are working for social and economic fairness.
- Longview Institute for the Public Good
- Articulates and promotes a vision of a moral economy and a just society to help bring us closer to a society that is just, democratic, humane, and environmentally sustainable.
- Century Foundation
- Conducts public policy research and analyses of economic, social, and foreign policy issues, including inequality, retirement security, election reform, media studies, homeland security, and international affairs.
- Citizen Works
- Founded by Ralph Nader in April 2001 to advance justice by strengthening citizen participation and giving people the tools and opportunities they need to build democracy.
- The Jamestown Project
- A thinktank founded and operated primarily by people of color and women that uses five broad strategies to achieve their mission: generating new ideas; promoting meaningful public conversations and engagement; cultivating new leaders; formulating political strategy and public policy; and using cutting-edge communications techniques that reach a broad public.
- Roosevelt Institute
- A policy organization devoted to carrying forward the legacy and values of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt by developing progressive ideas and bold leadership in the service of restoring America’s health and security.
12.2. General Legal Support Groups
- Alliance for Justice
- A national association of environmental, civil rights, mental health, women’s, children’s, and consumer advocacy organizations working to advance the cause of justice for all Americans, strengthen the public interest community’s ability to influence public policy, and foster the next generation of advocates.
12.3. Progressive Training and Education Groups
Also see 6.7. Community Organizing Groups
- Training for Change
- Drawing on the expertise and wisdom of the participants, spreads activist skills for engaging in democratic, strategic nonviolent social change to groups standing up for justice, peace, and the environment.
- Ruckus Society
- Provides environmental, human rights, and social justice organizers with tools, training, and support, especially in nonviolent direct action.
- Green Corps
- Recruits and trains organizers, provides field support for today’s critical environmental campaigns, and graduates activists who possess the skills, temperament and commitment needed to fight and win tomorrow’s environmental battles.
- Midwest Academy
- Teaches an organizing philosophy, methods, and skills that enable ordinary people to actively participate in the democratic process, build organizations, and engage in the struggle for social, economic, and racial justice.
- Wellstone Action
- Works to train, educate, mobilize, and organize a vast network of progressive individuals and organizations to engage in the Paul and Sheila Wellstone tradition of politics.
- New Organizing Institute
- Trains organizers to build and manage effective movements by integrating tried-and-true community organizing, cutting-edge digital strategy, and data-driven decision making.
- Grassroots Policy Project / Strategic Practice
- Works with groups to change their organizational priorities, practices, and culture to be more strategic.
- Highlander Research and Education Center
- Gathers workers, grassroots leaders, community organizers, educators, and researchers to inform each other and address the most pressing social, environmental, and economic problems facing the people of the South.
- Antioch University New England: Environmental Advocacy and Organizing Program (EAOP)
- Offers activist training for people seeking to work as public interest advocates and grassroots organizers.
12.4. Progressive Foundations
- Funding Exchange
- A network of publicly-supported, regionally-based community foundations dedicated to building a permanent institutional and financial base to support progressive social change.
- Tides Foundation
- A mission-driven public charity committed to positive social change.
12.5. Progressive Groups Monitoring Foundations
- National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (NCRP)
- Advocates for the philanthropic community to provide nonprofit organizations with essential resources and opportunities to work toward social and economic justice for disadvantaged and disenfranchised populations and communities.
12.6. Other Progressive Support Groups
- Brave New Foundation
- Champions social justice issues by developing and distributing short videos to inspire, empower, motivate and teach civic participation that makes a difference.
- Working Assets / Credo Action
- A progressive wireless, long distance, and credit card company (CREDO Mobile, CREDO Long Distance and the Working Assets credit card) that also gives its customers the opportunity to speak out on critical public issues through its web site (Act for Change) and monthly phone bill.
- Salsa Labs
- Works to make online advocacy tools accessible to all progressive organizations.